Feb 242017

We went within a whisker of an Atomic Brownwash on the weekend with all juniors teams, all girls teams and all senior teams winning… apart from a 10 run loss in the A’s following a collapse of 6/25. So near, yet so far!

The A Grade lost the toss and bowled at Parkinson Oval. We had some success early with a wicket to Elliot Opie and two to Daniel Worrall but from 3/21 Adelaide recovered to reach 4/136. Wickets were tough to come by in the afternoon period and there were a string of partnerships. Adelaide finished their innings all out 299. Worrall took 4 wickets and Lloyd Pope toiled hard for 3. We were 0/25 at stumps.

On Day 2 openers Henry Dall (20) and John Dalton took us safely to 62 before a horror five balls saw us lose 3/1 and stumble into trouble. Skipper Jake Brown (30) and Dalts put on 66 for the 4th wicket to steady the run chase and then keeper James Seward, suffering from a bout of malaria, continued the good work following the loss of Brown.

Seward and Dalton batted beautifully and put together what seemed at the time as a match winning partnership of 135 runs. Dalts went onto make a sparkling century, his 3rd for the club since Christmas. We had reach 4/264 and needed 36 runs for victory when the second new ball was taken. Seward was caught behind for 61 and the wheels fell off. Wickets tumbled and some panic set in. During the carnage Dalton was trapped lbw for a brilliant 149 – an innings that deserved to be part of a victory but unfortunately this wasn’t to be. We lost 6/25 and were all out for 289, just 10 runs short. A disappointing loss and one that has tightened the premiership table considerably. We still sit in 2nd place but don’t quite have the buffer we once did.

At Glandore Oval the B Grade also bowled first on an extremely hot day. Our bowlers worked hard with everyone chipping in as Adelaide were dismissed for 160. Hiran Lecamwasam and Michael Cappelluti picked up a couple each before lunch with Eddie Steele snaring a great leg side stumping off Cappa. After lunch Daniel Burns and Nick Palmer finished off the middle and lower order with 3 wickets each.

Our batters looked in control however gifted Adelaide some wickets with a catch down leg side, a run out and a skied half-tracker leaving us 3/78 at stumps. Day 2 started with another run out (…) before Eddie Steele (53*) and Michael Davies (35*) calmly and maturely steered us to the target without further loss. It was a strong win that leaves the A’s on top of the table. With plenty of time left in the day we split the remaining overs and had a crack at an outright.

Adelaide launched us everywhere in their 2nd innings, making 7/181 from just 22 overs. That left us 20 overs to make 180, a task that proved beyond us. We had a crack though and finished 5/146 at the close of play.

At Colonel Waite Oval the C Grade batted first and got away to a solid start thanks to openers Jed Spence and David Brown. Approaching tea we looked to be in a good position at 2/104 with Euan Fletcher (45) and Ty Wundenberg (22) looking in control. From that point on the innings was a disaster. We lost Ty just on tea and Euan the first ball after tea and crashed to be all out for 176. On an extremely small ground and flat pitch it didn’t look like enough. Ash Eckermann had us finish the day on a high though, grabbing two wickets just before stumps with Adelaide 2/16.

Ash got us started again on Day 2 picking up a wicket with his ‘knuckle ball’ and Steve Tanti grabbed another to make it 4/41. Two wickets in an over to Eddy Greeves saw the Buffalos slump to 6/76 approaching tea. There was a partnership of 43 after that and at 6/119 Adelaide looked set to give the target a shake. A run out changed things – Ash firing one back over the stumps to Sean who gleefully whipped off the bails. Euan Fletcher hung onto a screamer at long off running back with the flight after that before skipper Eddy Greeves snapped up his 3rd. The last wicket went to Ash – his 5th for the innings after a nice catch by Jed Spence at slip. So a hard-fought 35 run win to the C’s.

Some more great shots from Athina Tanti:

At Park 23 the D Grade batted first. We were 2/20 before a 70 runs stand between James Duncan (23) and Luke Pedlar (55) steered us to a good position before a mini-collapse had us 5/93. skipper Jordan Leiman and the hard-hitting Tom MacKenzie then put together a partnership of 65 to put us on top again. T-Mac followed up his 70 from last game with an even better 97 this game. He hit 9 fours and 6 sixes and faced only 47 balls for his 97 runs. He was dismissed three runs short of his century… caught on the boundary! We finished with a healthy 235 and this was made to look even better when Adam Clements picked up two wickets just on stumps. Adelaide 2/20.

Lochy Roberts picked one up early to make it 3/21. We had to fight a bit harder for wickets after that but spinners T-Mac and Daniel Subramaniam took 1 each and Lochy a 2nd to make it 6/81. If we were hoping for an early finish, Adelaide had other ideas. They put on 77 for the 7th wicket and reached 6/158. Adam Clements returned to the attack and a skied ball to fine leg was juggled and caught by James Duncan to break the partnership. Adam grabbed his 4th straight away, followed by a run out and a 2nd wicket to T-Mac which saw Adelaide all out 184. An important win to the D’s though outrights in other games saw them slip out of the 4.

The LOA’s played Para Hills at Adelaide High School. We batted first and 60’s to Ryan Sparrow and Scott Bassett helped us reach 7/209 from our 40 overs. Nick Holmes then carved through their top order taking 6/38. Charlie Avent chipped in with 2 and they were all out for 66.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.