Mar 202017

Four senior teams headed out for semi final matches this weekend and three have progressed to the grand final.

At Parkinson Oval the A Grade were trying to put five consecutive semi final losses behind them and progress to their first Grand Final since our premiership win in 2010-11.

Jake Brown lost the toss (again) and we fielded first on a very flat wicket.

Before the game, club great Jason Morgan was on hand to present debutant Eddie Steele with his first A Grade cap

Elliot Opie was on fire in the opening overs, cart-wheeling Jake Winter’s off stump with the 4th ball of the game and trapping Tom Plant lbw in his 2nd over. Our bowlers kept things very tight as we sought to make inroads with the new ball. Just after drinks Cameron Fatchen delivered a peach to knock Ben Bullimore’s off stump out of the ground. At lunch we had restricted Glenelg to 3/39 from 29 overs.

The middle session belonged to Glenelg as left handers Josh Roach and Danny Irvine carefully built a partnership. They wicket had flattened out and the ball wasn’t swinging. They batted through until tea and the score was 3/140. After the break Cameron Fatchen removed both the set batters, the second wicket courtesy of a sharp catch to Eddie Steele in the gully. Glenelg started to up the run rate before declaring at 6/257, leaving us 5 overs to negotiate before stumps.

Openers Liam Scanlon and James Seward made it safely to 0/14 at stumps

Day 2 started poorly with Scans gone in the first over. James Seward and Jake Brown took the score to 51 before Browny was caught at cover. He had looked in ominous touch for his 21. We lost Seward for 17 with the score at 81 then Alex Ross and Simon Schwerdt took us safely to lunch – 3/100 at the break.

The next session belonged to Kensington as Ross and Schwerdt showed their experience, putting away the loose ball, defending resolutely when required and ticking the score along without taking any risks. At tea we were 3/196 and in sight of victory.

We lost Schwerdty after tea for an excellent 47 (followed by a Phil Simmons walk off) but soon after Alex Ross brought up his century. It was a brilliant innings from Rosco who has battled injury issues this season but found form and delivered at the right time. He’d been joined at the crease by Hugh Cranendonk who struck some beautiful boundaries in his knock of 28*. The pair put on an unbroken stand of 57 runs for the 5th wicket and we reached the target with 20 overs to spare.

Rossy finished with 115 not out earning plaudits from Barry Nugget Rees

The A’s progress to the grand final this weekend and will play West Torrens at Woodville Oval.

At Park 25 #2 the B Grade were taking on East Torrens. We had Ty Wundenberg and Euan Fletcher on debut and new skipper Daniel Burns won the toss and elected to bat first.

We lost Michael Sullivan for 7 but Alex Chapman and Michael Davies took the score slowly but safely to 50 befre the next wicket fell, Chappy lbw for 20. The wheels fell off a bit in the middle order and we slumped from 2/67 to 7/96, including Davies for a hard-fought 31.

Some late resistance from Burnsy (30) was handy as we tried to post a defendable score but we were all out for 127 which felt 50 or more short. We had 23 overs to bowl that night so were hoping to make some inroads but the East Torrens openers batted solidly and were 0/55 at stumps.

On Day 2 we needed wickets in a hurry and the first one fell with the score at 78, Sean McCullum picking up a sharp stumping off Daniel Burns. Our bowlers were right on the money in the first session. We dried up the runs and the wickets started to fall. Nick Palmer and Michael Cappelluti struck to make the score 3/90. Approaching lunch there was another double break through to Daniel Burns and Hiran Lecamwasam. 5/107… still 21 runs to get. We couldn’t, could we?

Sadly no and East Torrens reached the target five down. Our bowlers and fielders had had a genuine crack on Day 2, just a shame we didn’t have a few more runs to play with. So season over for the B’s but a very solid campaign and kept fighting to the end.

At Colonel Waite Oval the C Grade were playing East Torrens. Skipper Eddy Greeves won the toss and we batted first. Unfotuntely we lost Dylan Mosey in the first over and fellow opener David Brown soon after. Luke Pedlar struck a couple of nice boundaries in his 12 but when he flicked one to square leg we were 3/36 and in some trouble. Charlie Holmes also hit a couple of nice fours and No 3 Michael Cotsios was looking in excellent touch. We lost Holmesy with the score at 59 but then Michael and Jed Spence put on a key partnership of 81 for the 5th wicket.

Michael went on to make an excellent 78 before he was caught in the gully. Jed was coming off a horror run of three ducks but batted beautifully for his 37. Brayden Frost chipped in with 13 and Ash Eckermann finished 13 not out as we were dismissed just on stumps for 187.

We fronted up the next day knowing that if we bowled well we had the attack to defend the target. Ash Eckermann got us away to the perfect start with a wicket in the first over, Eddy Greeves holding on to a great catch at 2nd slip.

The next 20 overs yielded no reward until Steve Tanti found an edge through to Frosty – 2/39. A juggled catch to Jed Spence at 1st slip off Jamie Panelli made it 3/49 and Panelli was at it again soon after, hitting the pegs twice to make it 5/65. An lbw to Eddy Greeves had the score 6/67 and we were well on top.

The Reds fought back after that and pushed the score to 6/91 before Panelli broke the partnership – the batter making the cardinal sin of shouldering arms and having his middle stump knocked out of the ground. At tea East Torrens were 7/103.

After the break Ash Eckermann found the edge again for his 2nd then got a wicket with a ‘knuckle ball’ to make it 9/113. The last wicket came soon after – caught Panelli bowled Brown. East Torrens all out 122. The C’s go into the grand final and will play Adelaide Uni at University Oval.

Thanks to Athina Tanti for these great shots from the C Grade:

Down at Grange Oval #2 the LOA’s took on the Adelaide Rockets. We posted a healthy 205 from our 40 overs thanks to 70 from Nathan Woods and 30’s from Nathan and Scott Bassett. We bowled well in reply with Nick Holmes taking 4 wicket and we knocked the Rockets over for 134, so a 71 run win. We head into the grand final where we will take on Unley at Kingswood Oval.

Well done also to Luke Pedlar who will head off next weekend with the South Australian team to Brisbane for the U/15 National Championships. Fellow Kensington cricketers Sam Rahaley and William Warrick are also in the SA team. Luke played in our C Grade semi final win this weekend and celebrated after the game with Barry Nugget Rees. Good luck to all three players and follow the scores at

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.